Dry Eye and ocular GVHD Clinic at UIC
Dry Eye Disease (DED) is a significant public health problem. At least 14% of the U.S. population more than 50 years old have dry eyes. Chronic ocular graft-versus- host- disease (oGVHD) is an important complication of allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT). Signs and symptoms of oGVHD mimic other immunologically mediated dry eye diseases (e.g., Sjogren syndrome) without effective treatments regimens available to date. The incidence of oGVHD after bone marrow transplant ranges from 38 to 50%.
Watch Dr. Jain’s presentation at the 2019 GVHD patient summit about Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease in the eyes. In this presentation Dr. Jain answers questions such as: What is ocular GVHD? Do I have eye GVHD? Is it just another form of dry eye disease? How do you treat ocular GVHD? Will I go blind from it? Do I have to use eye drops forever? Are there any new treatments that can help me?Watch "Your Eyes and Chronic GVHD"
In the Dry Eye and ocular GVHD Clinic, we use state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to assess the severity and type of dry eye. We use customized treatments to treat dry eye and ocular GVHD. We have established a unique translational research program that makes feasible the discovery and development of novel treatments for Dry Eye and ocular GVHD. This program comprises of a highly specialized ocular GVHD clinic for patient care, an advanced translational molecular biology laboratory for uncovering disease mechanisms, dedicated clinical trial center for developing new therapies and a highly motivated team who seamlessly connect these components. The clinical practice and basic laboratory research are highly integrated around the focus area of dry eye and ocular GVHD, which has allowed us to investigate the biological basis of clinical observations in dry eye and ocular GVHD.
Dry Eye and ocular GVHD Clinic Team
Sandeep Jain, MD is a NIH-funded physician-scientist. He directs the Dry Eye & Ocular GVHD Clinic, Basic Science Laboratory and Dry Eye Translational Clinic. Dr. Jain is a member of the International Chronic Ocular Graft-vs-Host-Disease Consensus Group and an invited member of the International Dry Eye WorkShop (DEWS).Dr. Jain’s exemplary academic, scientific and entrepreneurial achievements have been formally recognized by the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) with numerous awards. He has received ‘Inventor of the Year Award’ at UIC. In the past, Dr. Jain has received the ‘Departmental Faculty of the Year Award’ for his outstanding achievements and faculty contributions in the advancement of vision science. He was also awarded the Physician Scientist award from Research to Prevent Blindness and Achievement award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
UIC News Items Highlighting Dr. Jain's Work:
In the Dry Eye and ocular GVHD Clinic, we use state-of-the-art diagnostic equipment to assess the severity and type of dry eye. These include:
- Assessment of disease severity using symptom analysis tools
- Keratograph analysis of tear break-up time and ocular redness score
- Tear Osmolarity measurements
- LipiView imaging of meibomian glands and analysis of lipid layer thickness
- MMP-9 inflammatory protein detection in tear fluid using InflammaDry
- Slit lamp anterior segment photography
- Research tests are performed in Dr. Sandeep Jain’s laboratory. These include immunostaining of tear fluid cells, measurement tear fluid extracellular DNA, and analysis of chemokines/cytokines in the tear fluid.
We use customized treatments to treat dry eye and ocular GVHD. In addition to standard treatments, these include:
- Compounded Preservative Free Methylprednisone eye drops
- Compounded Preservative Free pooled human immune globulin (IVIG) eye drops
- Preservative Free Serum Tears 50%
- Plasma Rich in Growth Factors (PRGF-Endoret)
- PROSE scleral contact lenses
- EyePrint Scleral Lens
- LipiFlow Thermal Pulsation Treatment
- Optima Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Treatment
Ongoing Clinical Trials in Dry Eye and ocular GVHD
These clinical trials are funded by a National Institute of Health grant awarded to Dr. Sandeep Jain (NEIR01EY024966)
For information regarding participation in these trials, please call or text Christine Mun at (312) 918-0900, or email her at email@example.com.
- A Phase I/II Randomized Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Single-Center, Tolerability And Preliminary Efficacy Clinical Trial Of Recombinant Human Deoxyribonuclease (rhDNase) Eye Drops in Patients With ocular Graft-vs.-Host Disease.
Principal Investigator: Sandeep Jain, MD
For Detailed information on the oGVHD trial, click on clinicaltrials.gov
- A Prospective Study to Identify Bio-Markers that Predict Onset and Progression of ocular Graft-vs.-Host Disease in Patients who receive Allogeneic hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant.
Principal Investigator: Sandeep Jain, MD
- A Phase I/II Randomized Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Single-Center, Tolerability And Preliminary Efficacy Study Of Recombinant Human Deoxyribonuclease (rhDNase) Eye Drops In Patients With Dry Eye Disease.
Principal Investigator: Sandeep Jain, MD
For Detailed information on the Dry Eye Trial, click on clinicaltrials.gov
Journal Publications on Dry Eye and Ocular GVHD by Dr. Sandeep Jain
- Kwon J, Surenkhuu B, Raju I, Atassi N, Mun J, Chen YF, Sarwar MA, Rosenblatt M, Pradeep A, An S, Dhall N, Mun C, Jain S. Pathological consequences of anti-citrullinated protein antibodies in tear fluid and therapeutic potential of pooled human immune globulin-eye drops in dry eye disease. Ocul Surf. 2019 Oct 10. pii: S1542-0124(19)30377-5. Accompanying editorial comment on the paper: Genschmer KR, Russel DW, Blalock JE. Ocul Surf. 2019 Dec 19. pii: S1542-0124(19)30522-1.
- An S, Raju I, Surenkhuu B, Kwon JE, Gulati S, Karaman M, Pradeep A, Sinha S, Mun C, Jain S. Neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs) contribute to pathological changes of ocular graft-vs.-host disease (oGVHD) dry eye: Implications for novel biomarkers and therapeutic strategies. Ocul Surf. 2019 Jul;17(3):589-614. PMID:30965123 Accompanying editorial comment on the paper: Petricek I, Pavletic SZ. Ocul Surf. 2019 Jul;17(3):372-373. PMID:31226421
- Mun C, Gulati S, Tibrewal S, Chen YF, An S, Surenkhuu B, Raju I, Buwick M, Ahn A, Kwon JE, Atassi N, Pradeep A, Rondelli D, Jain S. A Phase I/II Placebo-Controlled Randomized Pilot Clinical Trial of Recombinant Deoxyribonuclease (DNase) Eye Drops Use in Patients With Dry Eye Disease. Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2019 May 2;8(3):10. PMID:31110911
- Bron AJ, de Paiva CS, Chauhan SK, Bonini S, Gabison EE, Jain S, Knop E, Markoulli M, Ogawa Y, Perez V, Uchino Y, Yokoi N, Zoukhri D1, Sullivan DA. TFOS DEWS II pathophysiology report. Ocul Surf. 2017 Jul;15(3):438-510. PMID:28736340
- Shah D, Ali M, Pasha Z, Jaboori AJ, Jassim SH, Jain S, Aakalu VK. Histatin-1 Expression in Human Lacrimal Epithelium. PLoS One. 2016 Jan 29;11(1):e0148018. PMID: 26824896
- Hallak JA, Tibrewal S, Mohindra N, Gao X, Jain S. Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms in the BDNF, VDR, and DNASE 1 Genes in Dry Eye Disease Patients: A Case-Control Study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015;56(10):5990-6. PMID:26393465
- Hallak JA, Tibrewal S, Jain S. Depressive Symptoms in Patients With Dry Eye Disease: A Case-Control Study Using the Beck Depression Inventory. Cornea. 2015;34:1545-50. PMID: 26426334
- Tibrewal S, Ivanir Y, Sarkar J, Nayeb-Hashemi N, Bouchard CS, Kim E, Jain S. Hyperosmolar stress induces neutrophil extracellular trap formation: implications for dry eye disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Nov 18;55(12):7961-9. PMID:25406284
- Hallak JA, Jassim S, Khanolkar V, Jain S. Symptom burden of patients with dry eye disease: a four domain analysis. PLoS One. 2013 Dec 13;8(12):e82805. PMID:24349365
- Tibrewal S, Sarkar J, Jassim SH, Gandhi S, Sonawane S, Chaudhary S, Byun YS, Ivanir Y, Hallak J, Horner JH, Newcomb M, Jain S. Tear Fluid Extracellular DNA: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications in Dry Eye Disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2013;54:8051-62. PMID:24255046
- Ogawa Y, Kim SK, Dana R, Clayton J, Jain S, Rosenblatt MI, Perez VL, Shikari H, Riemens A, Tsubota K. International Chronic Ocular Graft-vs-Host-Disease (GVHD) Consensus Group: Proposed Diagnostic Criteria for Chronic GVHD (Part I). Sci Rep. 2013 Dec 5;3:3419. PMID:2430550
- Sonawane S, Khanolkar V, Namavari A, Chaudhary S, Gandhi S, Tibrewal S, Jassim SH, Shaheen B, Hallak J, Horner JH, Newcomb M, Sarkar J, Jain S. Ocular surface extracellular DNA and nuclease activity imbalance: a new paradigm for inflammation in dry eye disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012;53:8253-63. PMID:23169882
- Editorial Comment on the paper: McDermott AM. New insight into dry eye inflammation. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012 17;53:8264
Book Chapters on Dry Eye and Ocular GVHD by Dr. Sandeep Jain
- Gulati S, Jain S. Ocular Pharmacology of Tear Film and Dry Eye. In Azar D, Whitcup S. (eds): Handbook of Experimental Pharmacology, 2016.
- Ketki S, Djalilian A, Jain S. Stepwise Management of chronic ocular GVHD. In Djalilian A. (ed): Case Based update in ocular surface disease. Springer, 2016.
- Tibrewal S, Jain S. Dry Eye Syndrome: Management of Post LASIK Dry Eye Disease. In Alio J, Azar D, Abbouda A, Aswad A. (eds): Difficult and complicated cases in Refractive Surgery. Springer- Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, 2015: 205-207.
- Delacruz J, Hallak J, Jain S. Infections after Refractive Surgery. In Alio, JL. Azar DT. (eds): Management of Complications in Refractive Surgery. Springer, Berlin, Germany, 2008: 34-38.
Patents on Dry Eye and Ocular GVHD treatments/diagnostic methods by Dr. Sandeep Jain
Patent grant: Composition and method for treating Nucleic Acid-related eye Disease
Inventor: Sandeep Jain, MD
Publication number: US9867871B2, Publication date: Jan 16, 2018
Patent grant: Methods and compositions for treating dry eye disease and other eye disorders
Inventors: Sandeep Jain, Uday Bhaskar Kompella, Shankar Musunuri
Original Assignee: Ocugen, Inc., University of Illinois
Publication number: US9877964B2
Publication date: Jan 30, 2018
Patent grant: Methods and Compositions for Treating Dry Eye Disease and Other Eye Disorders.
Inventors: Sandeep Jain, Uday Bhaskar Kompella, Shankar Musunuri
Original Assignee: Ocugen, Inc., The Board of Trustees of The University of Illinois
Publication number: US9597328 B2
Publication date: Mar 21, 2017
Patent grant: Transcorneal Vision Assistance Device
Inventors: Dimitri Azar, Jose de la Cruz, Sandeep Jain.
Original Assignee: The Board of Trustees of The University of Illinois,
Publication number: US8506626 B2
Publication date: Aug 13, 2013
Conferences: The Chronic GVHD Meeting
Program Director: Sandeep Jain, MD
The Chronic GVHD Meeting helps to bridge numerous gaps, not only between ophthalmologists and hematologists/ oncologists, but also between medical centers within Chicago, Chicago medical centers and centers outside Chicago, and basic scientists and clinicians. This meeting brings together nationally recognized experts for disseminating new findings in the area of chronic GVHD and for discussions covering clinical and research challenges and opportunities. The meeting also brings together physicians to stimulate inter institutional and interdisciplinary opportunities in research, clinical practice and education.
Recent Presentations at National Meetings on Dry Eye and Ocular GVHD by Sandeep Jain, MD
- Jain S, An S, Kwon J, Surenkhuu B, Raju I, Atassi N, Pradeep A, Mun C. Anti-Citrullinated Protein Antibodies (ACPA) are Present in Tear Fluid of Dry Eye Disease (DED) Patients: Diagnostic and Therapeutic Implications. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2019;60: ARVO E-Abstract 6786 - B0310.
- Surenkhuu B, Raju I, An S, Kwon J, Pradeep A, Atassi N, Mun C, Jain S. LIGHT Protein is a Potential Biomarker for Ocular Graft-VS-Host Disease (oGVHD). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2019;60: ARVO E-Abstract 6764 - B0288.
- Mun C, Tibrewal S, Ahn A, Lopez A, Atassi N, Surenkhuu B, Buwick M, Shukla S, Shah H, Mun J, Pradeep A, Raju I, Jain S. Recombinant Deoxyribonuclease (DNase) Eye Drops Use in Patients with Dry Eye Disease: Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2019;60: ARVO E-Abstract 6759 - B0283.
- An S, Raju I, Surenkhuu B, Sinha S, Wu PY, Ahn A, Pradeep A, Kwon J, Lopez A, Mun C, Jain S. Sub-Anticoagulant Dose Heparin is a Potential Therapy for Tear Deficient Dry Eye Disease in patients with ocular Graft-Vs-Host Disease (oGVHD). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018;59: ARVO E-Abstract 3293 - C0087.
- Arumugham R, Somasekhar G, Upadhyay K, Kalesnykas G, Kaja S, Jain S. Pre-clinical efficacy of OCU300 nanoemulsion for the treatment of ocular graft versus host disease (oGVHD). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018;59:ARVO E-Abstract 3287 - C0081.
- Mun C, An S, Raju I, Surenkhuu B, Sinha S, Wu PY, Pradeep A, Ahn A, Kwon J, Lopez A, Jain S. Oncostatin M (OSM) Contributes to Corneal Epitheliopathy in Tear Deficient Dry Eye Disease due to Chronic ocular Graft-Vs-Host Disease (oGVHD). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018;59:ARVO E-Abstract 3292 - C0086.
- Jain S, An S, Raju I, Surenkhuu B, Sinha S, Rondelli D, Mun C. Neutrophil Extracellular Traps (NETs) in Patients with Dry Eye Disease Secondary to ocular Graft-vs-Host-Disease (oGVHD): Pathological Consequences and Therapeutic Implications. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018;59:ARVO E-Abstract 4873-C0318.
- Raju I, An S, Varma D, Pradeep A, Surenkhuu B, Lopez A, D'costa A, Mun C, Ahn A, Sinha S, Gulati S, Jain S. Tear fluid neutrophils and NETs: Implications in the pathogenesis of ocular graft vs host disease. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58: ARVO E-Abstract 3934 - A0173.
- Milani B, Jain S. Subbasal Corneal Nerves in Acute Desiccating Stress Model of Murine Dry Eye. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58: ARVO E-Abstract 1422 - B0072.
- Sinha S, Raju I, An S, Pradeep A, Surenkhuu B, D’costa A, Wu P, Gulati S, Lopez A, Mun C, Ahn A, Jain S. Neutrophil Extracellular Traps (NETs) delay Epithelial Wound Healing in-vitro: Implications in chronic Ocular GVHD. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:ARVO E-Abstract 160-A0350
Recent Invited talks on Dry Eye and Ocular GVHD by Sandeep Jain, MD
- BMT Infonet National GVHD Patient Summit. Your Eyes and Chronic GVHD. Chicago, IL October 12, 2019.
- ARVO Special Interest Group (SIG) meeting on Tear Biomarkers of Ocular Surface Diseases in the Clinic, Vancouver, Canada. May 2019
- International Ocular Surface Society (IOSS) 22nd Annual Meeting. Neutrophil extracellular traps (NETs) and NET-associated proteins in the pathogenesis of ocular graft-versus-host-disease (oGVHD). Vancouver, Canada. April 27, 2019.
- Chicago Subspecialty Lecture Series: Clinical and Translational Aspects in ocular GVHD. Chicago, IL. Loyola University of Chicago. November 2018.
- ISER XXIII Biennial Meeting of the International Society for Eye Research. Sub-anticoagulant Dose Heparin Is a Potential Therapy for Inflammation and Ocular Surface Disease in Dry Eye and oGVHD. Belfast, UK, September 2018.
- UChicago Medicine Transplant Research Meeting. Ocular GVHD: Current Management. Chicago, IL. University of Chicago. July 2018.
- The 7th International Chronic Ocular Graft-vs-Host Disease Consensus Meeting. Ongoing Clinical Trials on Ocular GVHD, Honolulu, HI. April 2018.
- NIH Chronic GVHD Study Group Intramural Retreat. Neutrophils and NETs in Chronic Ocular GVHD. Bethesda, MD. February 2018.
- The Chronic GVHD Meeting: Intersecting Aspects in Systemic and Ocular Disease. Neutrophil and NETS in Chronic Ocular GVHD. Chicago, IL. October 2017.
- 7th Annual National GvHD Health Symposium. Translational and Clinical Research in Chronic Ocular GVHD. Meredith A. Cowden Foundation. Columbus, OH. October 2017.